Capital District Gondola
Capital District Gondola (CDG) will provide a unique aerial transportation experience for commuters, casual visitors and tourists alike in the heart of New York State’s Capital Region.
CDG, designed to initially connect the cities and counties of Albany and Rensselaer New York, will provide a unique and exciting Urban Gondola to serve as a direct pedestrian and bicycle connection from the Rensselaer Rail (Amtrak) Station to the Albany Times Union Center.
Developed, financed, constructed with private led investment, this $25M public transportation project will result in the first urban aerial gondola of its kind in the United States.
This environmentally friendly system requires no major public infrastructure and will generate 250 jobs construction, maintenance and operating jobs, foster new economic development activity and stimulate substantial new direct tourism spending.
CDG will provide a visually stunning five-minute ride 150 feet above the Hudson River, revealing breathtaking natural vistas and spectacular views of the Albany and Rensselaer skylines. By 2025 the system is expected to attract 900,000 one-way riders per year and serve as a catalyst for tourism, residential and commercial activity throughout the Capital Region.
- Create a new, fun, pedestrian-friendly connection between Downtown of Albany & Rensselaer, NY
- Promote & Enhance the Capital Region’s rich Historical Significance & Tourism Features
- Stimulate Economic Development by Connecting Residences, Businesses and Community Assets
- Improve Bicycle & Pedestrian Accessibility and Safety
- Create an Environmentally Friendly, Near-Zero Emission Hudson River Crossing
- Reduce Automobile Trips & Complement Existing Regional Transit Services